Sunday, October 3, 2010

I thought this was supposed to be the easiest part...

Two weeks ago, after my 20 mile training run, the tapering phase began. The purpose of tapering off your mileage the three weeks leading up to the marathon is to give your body some time to recover and rest up for the race. I was really looking forward to this stage, and thought it would be a breeze. I'm finding out that it's not though.

The past two weeks have been incredibly busy and stressful at work. Just a lot going on, exhausting days with kids that are much more immature and needy than my past classes, not to mention having a student teacher thrown in with me. So, the first week after my 20 mile run, I completely blew off all of my mid-week runs. I just could not fit them in. I felt better though after doing my long run (12 miles) last weekend. It was easy, and it reassured me that I hadn't set myself back by skipping my mid-week runs.

I was only slightly better this past week. I only did one mid-week run of 4 miles. Again though, I thought I would feel better after doing my long run yesterday (8 miles). Then I came home from work on Friday feeling like I was coming down with some sort of cold/sore throat thing. I woke up on Saturday morning not feeling terrible though, so I still went out for my long run. It went ok at first, despite the 45 degree temp and 18 mph wind burning my throat, but around mile 5 I started to get that achy sick feeling, and I couldn't shake it. So I stopped. :(

So now I'm freaking out about the fact that I haven't done the miles I was supposed to over the past two weeks. I know that I have the strong training base that I need, and this is only the tapering phase, but I still don't like not finishing my mileage, especially a long run.

I did find a great article yesterday about the woes of tapering, such as phantom pains, anxiety, and just a general feeling of sinking confidence. It reassured me a little bit that a lot of this is common during tapering. I also read a few places that it's pretty common to get sick while tapering because your immune system is so run down from the heavy training the previous few weeks.

I'm feeling better today and hope to have this sickness kicked by tomorrow. In which case I will make sure I get in my midweek runs this week. I have a feeling the fact that the marathon is next weekend will light a fire under me to get me going...

P.S. If you read this and know anything about marathon training, and in your head you are thinking, "You haven't done your mid-week runs??? You are SO screwed!" please do not let me know. Just let me find out for myself around mile 20. :) I don't need anything else to weaken my confidence at this point.

Miles the past two weeks: 21 miles
Weeks of training finished: 28 weeks
Total miles of training: 455 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment